Jam-Filled Crepes for Your Valentine February 10 2015
I have always considered crepes the most elegant of dishes, whether as a dessert or an over the top breakfast dish. For a dessert-type filling almost any flavor of jam will do, but I think strawberry is a perfect fit for Valentine's Day. A slice of strawberry placed on top of the of the crepes looks just like a heart - so what could be better to serve for your Valentine, or family of little Valentines, than these elegant French pancakes?
Never made a crepe? See the link below the recipe for a lesson in crepe-making from Julia Child.
Photo: Sally Pasley Vargas
Master Crépe Recipe
adapted from Julia Child
Makes 12 to 14 7-inch crepes.
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cold milk
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, plus more for brushing on pan
- Bonnie’s Strawberry Jam
- Powdered sugar
- Crème Fraîche
1. Place all ingredients in blender and blend for 1 minute. Refrigerate for at least an hour
2. In a well seasoned crepe pan or a non-stick frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of butter to melt over medium heat.
3. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the center of the heated pan and then tilt the pan in all directions to cover the bottom evenly. Cook about 1 minute, or until the browned on the bottom. Turn and cook briefly on the other side.
3. Stack each crepe on top of each other as you make them. Sprinkle with a little powdered sugar and serve with jam and a little crème fraîche
*I live in Cambridge not far from the home of the famous French chef, and had the privilege of visiting once and actually standing in the kitchen with Julia for a short chat. A very memorable day to say the least! Here is Julia making the crepes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZegbVotr-I