Peach and Berry Crisp
Fall may be the perfect season for something sweet, hot, and bubbly from the oven, but I like to make this in the summer when the berries and peaches are both in season. Put this dish in the oven when friends or family are over for dinner, and out it comes post-meal, bubbling to add a touch of post dinner drama. I write this as Covid is with us and our gatherings are small or seated at a distance as at our house this past weekend. The fragrant, hot dessert was a hit with all of us celebrating the smallest of pleasures.
- 2 pounds ripe peaches, halved, pitted, and cut into 1⁄2-inch wedges
- 3 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup Bonnie’s Black & Blue conserve
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place in a large bowl, peaches, blueberries, Black & Blue conserve, lemon juice and cornstarch. and gently toss to mix evenly. Transfer mixture to a lightly greased baking dish that will allow the mixture to have a 2 – 3 inch depth.
- In a separate bowl, toss together oats, flour, salt, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the cubed butter. Using your fingers, combine mixture until crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over fruit.
- Bake in preheated oven until top is golden brown and fruit mixture is bubbling - about 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool. Serve with vanilla ice cream